Father Len invites us to grapple with the virtues and character we value, permit, model and promote and the effect they have on us and those around us.
Support Wrestling with God Productions: https://www.GiveSendGo.com/WWGProductions
Highlights, Ideas, and Wisdom
- Culture over time is the most important force in shaping our identity. When an entire community prizes certain things, these things just seep into our pores.
- Our emotions and values are very infectious. They move through a community faster than a virus.
- Change happens, for better or worse, when entire communities unite around virtues and character they value.
- There’s undeniable proof that an individual’s character and values effect all of society.
- We take on the values of the communities to which we belong.
- Virtues and character that are valued by a community are inherited by the community’s children.
- If we want to change the world, we have to change our hearts. We are the culture. We are the system.
- What impedes us empowers us.
- Failure and struggle cause the hero in every hero story to become a hero.
- Grit is frequently a greater predictor of success than talent.
- Grit or fortitude is a gift of the Holy Spirit.
- You need grit to become a spiritual person.
- It takes grit to forgive when you’ve been wounded.
- It takes grit to become prudent and know how and when to hold your tongue.
- It takes grit to become patient.
- We can lose our grit when life is good.
- Grit is like a muscle. You’re not born with it. You train yourself into it.
- “Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance” by Angela Duckworth
- “Democracy in America” by Alexis De Tocqueville
- Beatrice Webb
- Patrick Lencioni
- What virtues and character do you value, permit, model and promote and how do they match up with the values of the communities to which you belong and, importantly, what are you going to do if they don’t?
- We all have a big stake in our community’s culture and the effect it has on us and those around us.
We welcome your questions and comments:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text or voicemail: 208-391-3738
Links to More Podcasts from Wrestling with God Productions
- Life Lessons from Jesus and the Church He Founded: http://LifeLessonsfromJesus.org
- A Priest’s Life: https://idahovocations.com/resources/video-podcasts/