Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 23:43 — 21.7MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | Deezer | RSS | More
Father Len exposes the dangerous effects of trying to boost self-esteem with excessive or false praise and compliments.
Support Wrestling with God Productions: https://www.GiveSendGo.com/WWGProductions
Highlights, Ideas, and Wisdom.
- “Self-esteem is like a four letter cuss word that when you say it you need to wash your mouth out” – Father Len
- Father Len illustrates the negative effects of self-esteem by sharing the story of his encounter with a young man and his big dog during his quest to rid the church grounds of dog poop.
- Our current culture promotes a competition to become the greatest victim.
- Religion is about becoming a better person, not making you feel good about yourself.
- Religion is about being in a relationship with God and others built upon the virtues of love, compassion, and justice.
- People with self-compassion gain grit and determination and are more likely to pick themselves up after a failure and try again.
- Attempts to boost self-esteem with excessive or false praise and compliments produces fake self-esteem that rejects critical or negative feedback capable of producing personal growth and success.
- Fake self-esteem based solely on feelings of “I’m special and smart and beautiful and people love me” is fragile and produces social comparison and constant anxiety.
- Kids become bullies to boost their own self-esteem.
- Fake self-esteem prepares you to become a victim.
- Real self-esteem based on achievements and making and keeping commitments is important for emotional and spiritual health.
- Real self-esteem embraces failure and believes everyone can improve.
We welcome your questions and comments:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text or voicemail: 208-391-3738
Links to Podcasts from Wrestling with God Productions
- Wrestling with God Show: http://WWGShow.com
- Life Lessons from Jesus and the Church He Founded: http://LifeLessonsfromJesus.org
- A Priest’s Life: https://idahovocations.com/resources/video-podcasts/