Father Len shares his love of prayer. He explains what prayer is and isn’t and the purpose of prayer. He also offers some ideas for developing your own personal prayer life.
Highlights, Ideas, and Wisdom
- True prayer is listening. It’s about being totally mindful of God and being in the presence of God.
- Prayer is not about providing God with frequent intelligence briefings about stuff we want because God is the “big candy machine.”
- Father Len shares a fun story about a very kind and well-meaning minister and his wife that were concerned about the inadequacies of the car he was driving at the time and volunteered to “pray him up a new truck” to illustrate what prayer shouldn’t be.
- Prayer is about being in the presence of love and wanting it to control you.
- Father Len shares a favorite type of prayer he uses called “The Daily Examen” created by St. Ignatius 500 years ago.
- Meditation on virtues like joy and love is an effective type of prayer that can help us find God in the fingerprints of our day while providing a sense of calm and peace.
- Our whole life should be a love affair with the divine that inspires us to regularly spend time with God.
- Some of us confuse entertainment that is self-gratifying with prayer. Father Len explains why golf is not prayer.