Father Len explains the relationship between science, history and the Bible and why dinosaurs aren’t present in the Bible.
Highlights, Ideas, and Wisdom
- Father Len reveals that some Christians and members of a group known as “young earth creationists” believe that dinosaurs aren’t present in the Bible because they didn’t exist. They fear science is driving God out of the human experience and therefore they deny rigorous scientific evidence of such things as the age of the earth and the existence of dinosaurs.
- Demanding that belief in God requires rejecting scientific facts is committing intellectual suicide and damaging to religion and the image of God.
- When science challenges us, we should be grateful, discerning, and welcoming of scientific truths.
- There is an ancient belief in Catholicism that God gave us two books of Revelation. The Bible and the book of nature.
- Thomas Aquinas believed that if nature and scientific facts prove your interpretation of something in Scripture is wrong then clearly your interpretation of the Bible is wrong.
- The Catholic view is that religion supports science and science supports religion.
- “Science without religion is lame, and religion without science is blind.” – Albert Einstein
- Galileo believed that scientific exploration is a noble endeavor of faith saying, “I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.”
- The first book of the Bible is not Genesis. It is the back story for the first book of the Bible which is Exodus. The purpose of Genesis is to explain that God created everything to be good.
- The Bible is not a science or history book. Its purpose is to explain what it means to be a human being. There is no mention of dinosaurs in the Bible because they are not relevant to becoming a free and loving human being.