Father Len explores how grit helps us get through difficult times and succeed in life.
Highlights, Ideas, and Wisdom
- Father Len explains why he is grateful for the COVID 19 pandemic.
- Father Len explains how the pandemic helps reveal the existence of God and why God allows suffering in the world.
- Father Len introduces the spiritual virtue of grit and illustrates how and why it helps us mature as human beings and succeed in life.
- Father Len explains the dangers of living life as a “perfect fragile.”
- Father Len explodes the myth of “talent” as the primary predictor of success in life.
- Grit in the religious world is fortitude. It’s one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
- Grit is learned and earned through sacrifice, pain, and a little bit of suffering.
- “Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance” by Angela Duckworth
- Life is sacrifice.
- Father Len offers concrete ways to increase grit and determination.
- Father Len shares the moving story of Adm. James Stockdale and how grit helped him and his fellow prisoners survive years in a Vietnam War concentration camp.
- “The Immortal Irishman: The Irish Revolutionary Who Became an American Hero” by Timothy Egan
- “Ungifted: Intelligence Redefined” by Scott Barry Kaufman