Father Len shares some remarkable love stories to illustrate what true love is all about.
Father Len explains what’s missing in spirituality without religion in answer to a listener who asks: “Why do I need organized religion? I’m spiritual and I have a personal relationship with God.”
Highlights, Ideas, and Wisdom
- What is a “personal” relationship with God? What does it mean? Father Len explores the difference between an intimate relationship with God and a private relationship with God.
- Father Len explains how religion satisfies the natural human need and desire for being social and how that makes an essential contribution to a spiritual life.
- The very definition of what it means to be human is to be connected to other people.
- We survive and thrive not only because of our intelligence, but also because we live and work as a group.
- Religion and spirituality should make you a better human being.
- We are more of who we are and who we are meant to be in community with other people.
- Father Len shares an inspiring story of enemies protecting enemies during the Serbian Croatian war to illustrate the meaning, power and importance of true community.
- Spirituality should lead you into the very essence of community.
- Private spirituality can lead to becoming your own God.
- Religion is like a marriage, a marriage between us and God.
- “The Five Dysfunctions of a Team” by Patrick Lencioni
- Father Len explains how conflict is an important element in strong marriages and good religion.
- Being spiritual but not religious means there is likely no one to challenge your ideas and beliefs.
- “Love in the Time of Cholera” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez