Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 25:11 — 23.1MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | Deezer | RSS | More
Father Len reveals three reasons God created us with some illustrative and inspiring stories and a funny Twinkies analogy.
Highlights, Ideas, and Wisdom
- Father Len reviews the two creation stories in the Bible.
- Everyone is born an Earthling and we only become true human beings when we can love to the point of death.
- We are meant to evolve into a relationship of unconditional love with God, other people, and creation itself.
- Pagan myths trace their creation to something grand and declare their superiority to other people and their origin.
- In Christianity, we have this idea of a Trinity. God is a Trinity: lover, beloved, and love itself. We are created by perfect loving relationship, a Trinity for relationship.
- God is pure unconditional, self-sacrificing, and self-giving love.
- Baltimore Catechism question: “Why did God make you?” Answer: “God made me to know him, to love him, to serve him in this world and be happy with him forever in heaven.”
- Heaven is a place of ultimate community and unconditional love. Where we’re all completely different, but united together. Hell is the opposite, to live by and for only one’s self.
- In Heaven, we’ll be together as one as grapes in wine. Shedding our selfishness like grapes shedding their skins. We’ll become one without losing our uniqueness, totally united, just as grapes in wine.
- Christ sums up all of his teachings this way: “love God with all your heart, mind, and soul and your neighbor as yourself.”
- God is not a rule keeper handing out punishment for misbehaving. We inflict our own punishment when we choose only to think of ourselves.
- We’re created for relationship and love, work and responsibility, worship and freedom.
- Our sin or our holiness affects creation and how we relate to each other.
- People who live in long and loving relationships live longer, are happier and healthier.
- It is better for your health to eat a Twinkie with friends than a salad by yourself.
- People who live life having a purpose beyond themselves live longer, happier and more satisfying lives.